Days 155 & 156: When in Paris, Go to Disney

Those of you who know me well, or maybe not even that well, should know how much I love going to Disney parks. In the past 4 and ½ years, I’ve been to Disneyland 6 times, and even Disney World once…with a 4-day park hopper pass. Plus I watch Disney movies any chance I can get, and read up on all the Disneyland secrets. So yeah, I guess you can say I’m a little obsessed. But honestly, I think my parents are glad that my obsession is with a children’s theme park rather than something harmful to myself.

So when I was planning my Europe trip, I knew that Disneyland Paris had to be on the agenda. My goal is to eventually visit all the Disney parks in the world, so I now have 3 down, 3 to go. Although Hong Kong, Tokyo and Shanghai might not be for a while. I’m not going to clue you in about how I felt about it until the post actually starts, so if you’re interested, read on. Otherwise, skip to the next post, which will be entirely unrelated to Disney. Okay, this is probably the longest introduction I’ve ever written. Let’s get to the good stuff!

Day 155: Monday, 2/9/2015

Our train from Geneva was at 8:30am so we left Deborah’s house at 7:30. I had barely gotten any sleep, as there was some issue with the laundry machine and my clothes weren’t drying. I gave up at about 1:30 and passed out for a measly 5 hours. But I obviously woke up with a lot of energy because I was going to Disneyland! Going to Disneyland always gives me energy. Many people can attest to this. So I got all decked out in my Disneyland sweatshirt and warm clothes and we went to the train station.

tumblr_inline_njscq2NJjc1qzafdr3 and ½ hours later, we arrived at Disneyland! The train actually stopped there. Very convenient. However, we had to check into our hotel before entering the park. After we’d dropped off our bags, we finally got to go to the parks! Deborah thought the best course of action would be to go to Walt Disney Studios for the first day and to Disneyland Park for the second. This seemed like a good course of action.

Here I am hanging out with my good buddies Walt Disney and Mickey Mouse 🙂

First, I had to buy mouse ears! I have a set from the first 2 parks I’ve visited, so I guess it’s a tradition now? I went with this cute fuzzy pair, which I’m sure will get plenty of wear when I’m back in California!

So, I’m not going to go into ALL of the details of my day. I think that would bore most of you who read this blog. There were few rides that we went on that are not at Disneyland in Anaheim. One of them was the Ratatouille ride, which I really liked! You basically pretend you’re a rat from the movie and go through the entire film. Very fun. Another one was Crush’s Coaster, a ride based on Finding Nemo. Also very fun. That was our longest wait of the entire day: 45 minutes, which to Disney fans like myself is not too long of a time.

tumblr_inline_njscmaeJmc1qzafdrAfter a long day of going on all of the rides, we headed into Disney Village to have dinner at Mickey Cafe. There, I met some of my favorite characters. Here I am with the main mouse himself! Does he seem slightly smaller than usual to you?

After eating our food, we rushed over to Disneyland Park to watch the Castle show. It was so amazing! Kind of like a combination of Disneyland in California’s fireworks show and World of Color. I was so happy, and really enjoyed singing along to everything.

Afterwards, we got back to our hotel room at around 9pm and went pretty much straight to sleep.

Day 156: Tuesday, 2/10/2015

We woke up early today to head to the park around 8am, because when you stay at a Disney hotel, you get 2 extra hours in the park before it opens! It was a little colder than the day before, so I wore my Minnie Mouse ears over the black beanie I brought with me. It was an excellent choice, I think.

Today was Disneyland Park day! Most of the rides were similar to the ones in LA, except for Indiana Jones. That was an actual roller coaster with a loop! What? Sadly, Space Mountain was closed, so I did not get to experience it, which has 3 loops, Deborah told me. Darn.

tumblr_inline_njscygspp01qzafdrI got to meet the Mad Hatter today. I told him it was my unbirthday. He responded in a French accent and it was very strange.

We then stopped and had a lunch break back in Disney Village at a restaurant with wifi. It was really cold, and we had gone on all of the rides that were open. Deborah ended up taking a nap and I monopolized the wifi connection.

Afterwards, we headed back into the park to watch the parade. It was nice, but still really freezing. When the parade ended, we went back to the hotel to wait until our train into Paris!

So final thoughts on Disneyland Paris:

  • It’s smaller than Disneyland in Anaheim, which is not necessarily a bad thing, but just noticeable.
  • Everything was in French. Okay, I know this is an obvious one, but it threw me for a loop every time. It was particularly crazy when we went on Star Tours and C3PO was speaking French. I mean, he is fluent in over 6 million forms of communication, so…
  • Disney employees, and Disneyland-goers, are WAY less enthusiastic in Europe! Barely any adults were wearing Mickey/Minnie ears, which didn’t embarrass me or anything, but was just surprising. And the employees were not as cheerful as I’m used to. Slightly disheartening.
  • Deborah was definitely not prepared for my Disney attitude, and I hope she does not hate me after this trip 😉


In conclusion, I’m happy I went, but I love Disneyland in California so much more that I would rather spend my time there. Also it’s way closer.

So we took the train into Paris after resting in the hotel lobby for a bit. We arrived at our friend Lea’s (from the program) apartment, a convenient 10 minute walk from the train station. Her place was so nice, and she and her mom were incredibly welcoming to us.

Lea, Deborah, and I headed to a restaurant for dinner where we caught up about our time the past few weeks. Lea now has another internship in Paris, which she is really enjoying. While the food wasn’t fantastic, it was nice to just have a relaxing evening after a long day.

We headed back to her house, showered, and went to sleep. Tomorrow: Versailles!

It has been kind of difficult for me to stay up-to-date on this blog, because the wifi has been pretty difficult to come by. So please just be patient with me! I promise to update you as much as I possibly can. And I have been posting my pictures, so feel free to check out the ones I’ve posted by following the link in the “My Photos” tab at the top of the blog. Talk soon!

-Girl in France 🙂

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s